All children enrolling in a Kentucky elementary school are required to have a dental screening. This requires proof of a dental screening or examination by a dentist, dental hygienist, physician, registered nurse, nurse practitioner or physician assistant to be presented to the school no later than January 1 of the first year that a five (5) or six (6) year old child is enrolled in public school. The purpose of the dental screening requirement it to improve the oral health of Kentucky’s children. Having dental screening help with early detection and treatment of dental disease and promote the importance or oral health for school readiness and learning.
The following are the requirements of the school dental screening requirements:
- The requirement applies to all children entering into kindergarten.
- A screening for kindergarten students may be performed by a licensed dentist, dental hygienist, physician, registered nurse, nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
- Screenings performed by out-of-state providers are allowed.
- The Kentucky Dental Screening /Examination Form For School Entry is the only acceptable form.
Assure oral health for Kentucky
The Kentucky Oral Health Program has established a long and proud history with the Department for Public Health. The program was started in 1928, it was the third state in the country to have a public dental health program. We believe that oral health is:
- A crucial part of an overall preventive healthy lifestyle.
- An essential component of overall health.
- A personal responsibility people have to take for their own wellness.
- Something that needs to be promoted within our communities.
- A duty for the profession to work toward the improvement of oral health for everyone.
We believe that prevention should start early in life to set the foundation for a healthy lifetime.
Infinite Smiles Dental Center is offering free kindergarten exams May 1-August 31.
Our office will be giving free exams to each child in need of a dental exam before enrolling into kindergarten starting May 1 and ending August 31. Please stop by our office or call for an appointment. (502)890-2035